Tuesday, February 10, 2009

A Bloody Mess




Went out to feed and water the chickens before work this morning, only to open up the coop to a bloody (and poopy!) mess. One of the guinea hens seems to have done something to her foot (toe?) and was dripping blood. At the time I couldn't tell where it was coming from, and had to get to work..... so I left her. And felt horrible. Spent the day hoping I wouldn;t come home to a dead hen. After work I checked again... She was out and about with all of her friends, leaving a trail of blood drops where she had been. She ate fine and seemed to be walking fine.
After watching her for a while I came in to drop my work stuff, etc..... and read some blogs. I went to check in on Danni at http://critterfarmgirl.blogspot.com/
and laughed when I saw it was a post about clipping her rooster's nails AND she happened to take a picture of the styptic solution she applied to her rooster's bleeding nail! What a coincidence. I hadn't thought of that. A quick phone call to the local farmers union and I was out the door to pick some up.

1 comment:

Danni said...

So, I've used a styptic pencil on my own skin a couple times when I've cut myself shaving and it burns like heck, but my roo didn't react at all when I applied it to him. I'm hoping the pain, if any, was fleeting, but it sure stopped his bleeding.
Realy glad this helped you, too! :-)